It has a bright red hue and the nose is expressive of very ripe fruit. On the palate it appears rich and full-bodied, with silky tannins and good length and balance.
|Varietal(s)||60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre|
This vineyard is right in the heart of the Cairanne area, to the south-west of the village, between Rasteau and Sainte Cecile les Vignes. The soil of the vineyard consists of poor clay and gravel terraced soils together with sandy molasses.
A traditional winemaking approach is used with stainless-steel tanks after crushing and pumping-over carried out twice a day. The wine is aged for a further 6 months in bottles before shipping.
In 1321, under the reign of Pope John XXII, four barrels were brought from the papal cellar in Avignon to be filled with wine in Châteauneuf. In 1549 "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" bought "a barn with its plot of land extending to 52 saumées at Coudoulet".
The Beaucastels were among the more notable families of this little town and in 1687 Pierre de Beaucastel, was appointed "Capitaine de la ville de Courthezon" by Louis XIV.
Two centuries later at the time of the phylloxera outbreak, the owner of Beaucastel was Elie Dussaud, companion of Ferdinand de Lesseps who constructed the Suez Canal. At that time the vineyard went out of production and it was not until 1909, when Pierre Tramier bought the property, that planting began again. Beaucastel was then passed to his son-in-law Pierre Perrin, a scientist who made great progress with the vineyard. His efforts were built on by Jacques Perrin, who lived until 1978. Today the torch is carried by the sons of Jacques.