It is a bright straw color with mellow acacia flower and honey aromas flowing from the glass. Extremely rich and profound on the palate, it is a grand white wine balanced by full maturity and uniquely rich with complexity.
|Appellation||Côtes du Rhone|
|Winery||Château de Beaucastel|
The area of this vineyard is just 3 hectares and the grapes used are from extremely old vines; 75 years old to be exact.
The wine is aged for 8 months with 50% in oak barrels and 50% in stainless-steel tanks. After that, the wine is blended and bottled.
In 1321, under the reign of Pope John XXII, four barrels were brought from the papal cellar in Avignon to be filled with wine in Châteauneuf. Subsequently, the Popes increased their vineyard holdings in the region and the papal wine gained in fame.
In 1549 "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" bought "a barn with its plot of land extending to 52 saumées at Coudoulet".
Later, the manor house that we know today was built here and you can still see the arms of the Beaucastel family sculpted in stone in one of walls of the drawing room.
The Beaucastels were among the more notable families of this little town and in 1687 Pierre de Beaucastel, in recognition of his conversion to Catholicism after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, was appointed "Capitaine de la ville de Courthezon" by Louis XIV.
Two centuries later at the time of the phylloxera outbreak, the owner of Beaucastel was Elie Dussaud, companion of Ferdinand de Lesseps who constructed the Suez Canal.
At that time the vineyard went out of production and it was not until 1909, when Pierre Tramier bought the property, that planting began again. Beaucastel was then passed on to his son-in-law Pierre Perrin, a scientist who made great progress with the vineyard. His efforts were built on by Jacques Perrin, who lived until 1978. Today the torch is carried by the sons of Jacques.