It is a deep ruby red color and the nose evokes aromas of cassis and mulberries with a hint of spice and tobacco. It is very condensed, dry and mellow. In the mouth one finds hints of wild thyme and licorice. The Grenache and Cinsault give the wine its color, strength and softness while the Mourvedre and Syrah provide a sense of ripeness and the deep, classic aspect of the wine.
|Appellation||Côtes du Rhone|
|Winery||Château de Beaucastel|
|Varietal(s)||30% Grenache, 30% Mourvedre, 20% Syrah, 20% Cinsault|
|Inventory||Very Low Stock|
well paired roasted chicken, stew.
This vineyard is part of the Beaucastel estate, from a plot of 30 hectares on its Eastern flank within the Cotes du Rhone appellation. The soil is identical to the Chateauneauf du Pate vineyard.
The blend is aged in large oak casks for 6 months, and bottling follows fining with egg white.
In 1321, under the reign of Pope John XXII, four barrels were brought from the papal cellar in Avignon to be filled with wine in Châteauneuf. Subsequently, the Popes increased their vineyard holdings in the region and the papal wine gained in fame.
In 1549 "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" bought "a barn with its plot of land extending to 52 saumées at Coudoulet".
Later, the manor house that we know today was built here and you can still see the arms of the Beaucastel family sculpted in stone in one of walls of the drawing room.
The Beaucastels were among the more notable families of this little town and in 1687 Pierre de Beaucastel, in recognition of his conversion to Catholicism after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, was appointed "Capitaine de la ville de Courthezon" by Louis XIV.
Two centuries later at the time of the phylloxera outbreak, the owner of Beaucastel was Elie Dussaud, companion of Ferdinand de Lesseps who constructed the Suez Canal.
At that time the vineyard went out of production and it was not until 1909, when Pierre Tramier bought the property, that planting began again. Beaucastel was then passed on to his son-in-law Pierre Perrin, a scientist who made great progress with the vineyard. His efforts were built on by Jacques Perrin, who lived until 1978. Today the torch is carried by the sons of Jacques.